Wednesday, August 3, 2011

On My Way To Being The Coolest Old Lady Ever

Today is one of those days where I laugh at my ways and how those ways do not match my age.  Sometimes, I feel like I have the soul of an old lady inside this 25-year old body.

Today, I spent time gardening and sewing.  Those hobbies alone scream to me "old lady" because they take patience and time.  With all the rushing around people do, it seems incongruous for the young to take the time out of their day to tend a garden or mend a blanket.  Someone reading this might be thinking, "Having two hobbies typical of old ladies hardly means you're an old lady."

Yet, I have more hobbies that indicate that I'm on my way to being an awesome old lady.  One of those hobbies is brewing tea with a tea kettle and a teapot.  I have the cutest little light blue teapot that I use to steep my tea.  Now, that I own my own teapot, that song "I'm a little teapot" has so much more significance.

The other hobby I have a passion for is baking.  Specifically, I love baking cookies.  Honestly, I used to make some awful cookies.  My first attempt at oatmeal cookies turned into more like granola bars.  I was literally pounding the back of the cookie sheet in an attempt to loosen the caked-on oatmeal.  Luckily, the oatmeal fell off in clusters, I bagged it, and it was still eaten.  Thankfully, I practiced and honed my skills in cookie baking. Now, my little sisters and brothers request that I bake cookies ALL THE TIME.  Sometimes, I'll hear this word randomly being said around me in the house, "Cookies".

I also like to work on jigsaw puzzles and play scrabble.  These pastimes are tried and true.  It hardly screams "party girl".  I also don't really gamble, even though I'm of age.  The only exception for me is Bingo.  I love playing Bingo with my mom, grandparents, and assorted family.  Once again, this gambling preference screams "old lady".  Although, some of the old ladies who play Bingo a lot get all decked out in decorated hats and bring style to the game.  Perhaps, I will make myself a Bingo Hat one day.  It's an idea.

Not only do I have these strange hobbies, I also think I have the personality of an old lady.  I am a cat person, who seems to attract them as if I'm catnip or something.  When I acknowledge this cat affinity, it makes me aspire to be the crazy cat lady somewhere in the future.  Although, I met an old lady who told me something very wise once.  She told me that a house should only have as many cats as there are laps.  I agreed with her assessment, so I think I'll only have one cat when I'm older.

I don't really want to go out clubbing and I'm perfectly content reading a ravishing book rather than being a social butterfly.  I'm sure old ladies can be social, too.  I imagine quilting circles and bridge parties.  I suppose I don't imagine old ladies going rollerblading or hanging out at a skate park.  I think it is society's stereotypical programming that limits my thinking.  

I also thoroughly enjoy sitting in a rocking chair admiring a landscape or a beautiful sunset from a porch.  I think when I get my own house, a rocking chair is a piece of furniture that I will insist on having.  Although I'm supposed to present this image of being hip and cool since I'm so young, I prefer to be honest and present the true image of who I am.  I look young and I'm a bit eccentric for my age, but I'm on the road to being the coolest old lady ever!!  

If I turn out at all like both of my grandmothers, I'll count myself wonderful and very loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment