Friday, August 5, 2011

The Latest Book I Read: The House of Many Ways

Seeing as the name of this blog is "The Bookworm Speaks", I'm thinking I'm allowed to talk about books.

As such, I figured I'd bring up the latest book I read.  I was pleasantly surprised to discover that a popular movie had a sequel in book form.  This movie was Howl's Moving Castle and the sequel is The House of Many Ways.  Dianne Wynne Jones wrote both the book Howl's Moving Castle and The House of Many Ways.

I discovered this wonderful book while I was wandering around in the library.  Since I read Howl's Moving Castle a few months back, I often would look at Dianne Wynne Jones' books to see if I wanted to borrow something else she wrote.

Although I do feel a tad bit old to wander around the young teen section in the library, a short humiliation is worth it for a good read.  To be honest, I'm often over in that section hoping for the day when that last Twilight book will be available to check out.  I still haven't read the last one, but I feel that I need to do so.  I want to know who she picks: Edward or Jacob?  And I want to know by reading the last book and not by having someone spoil the ending for me.

Now, let's get back to discussing The House of Many Ways.  I love fanciful books like this.  I'm more about worshiping clever ideas than perfect writing.  Therefore, I thought this book was quite lovely.  I like that some of the characters from Howl's Moving Castle were featured in this new novel.  I also like that Jones created new creatures and characters to give this book its own independence.  I warn you that this book does belong in the teen section because it's not on the level of classic novels, but it was a quick read and whimsical.  If you're looking for something fun to read and obsess over for a short amount of time, I recommend reading The House of Many Ways.

By the way, if you need an incentive to see Howl's Moving Castle, Christian Bale does the voice for Howl in the film.  Bale has a dark mysterious voice and he does a superb job playing a much-desired wizard.  Plus, who doesn't love Christian Bale? <3

No comments:

Post a Comment