Saturday, September 3, 2011

Recommendation To Read Fruits Basket

For the last couple days, I found myself obsessively reading this online manga called Fruits Basket.  I had been thinking about looking up this online manga for some time now because I watch the Fruits Basket anime series on a regular basis.  However, the anime series only went up to volume 26, which reaches approximately chapter 35 in the manga series.  I was quite astounded to find out that the online manga has 100 more chapters than the anime portrays.

In any case, it was completely worth the read.  The crazy antics that make the anime series hilarious continue throughout the manga.  I found myself so riveted that I would sit reading it for hours glued to my computer screen.  It is a very dramatic manga and the way the storylines were scattered all over the place made me want to keep reading it.  I would find myself wanting to just read the next chapter to see what happens from the cliffhanger ending of the previous one.  However, sometimes the next chapter was about another storyline.  As a result, I just kept reading.

The premise of this manga is based on the animals of the Chinese zodiac.  There is a rich family where 12 members are members of the aforementioned zodiac.  When these human members hug people of the opposite gender, they turn into the Chinese zodiac animal assigned to them.  There are a lot of incestuous relationships because the zodiac members can only be physically close to fellow members without transforming into animals.  As such, there is a lot of controversy and intrigue to keep the reader's attention.

As such, I recommend reading it if you enjoy reading dramatic storylines.  However, if you're obsessive about reading and feel anxious easily like I do, it is probably best to only start reading it when you have some time available to devote to it without pesky interruptions like work obligations, homework assignments, or social activities.  

I will also say that since manga are essentially Japanese comics and the online material uses mostly just black and white ink, reading in bulk can be hard on the eyes.  Staring at white page backgrounds and squinting to read inside smaller speech bubbles is not for the fainthearted or visually impaired.  Valiant readers such as myself will risk the eyestrain in the aims of enlightenment.  This series in particular spoke to me about getting through hardships and about the relief provided by those who accept other people for who they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment