Sunday, September 11, 2011

A Productive Weekend: Lots of Reading, Hemming, and Periwinkle

I had a really productive weekend this weekend.  On Saturday, I cleared out all the stuff in the Kia Sephia.  I sorted it and put it into bags.  Then, I cleaned the vinyl inside the car.  Lastly, I vacuumed the car floors including the trunk.  I remember cleaning the vinyl inside my Dodge Stratus when I first owned it.  I believe it says a lot about a person if they try to keep their car in presentable condition.  After I was done, I sat in the driver's seat and marveled at how nice it felt to sit in an uncluttered clean space.

I also worked on the mounds of homework I have due this week.  I accomplished a lot.  I did my logic design homework first because I'm always worried that if I put that class off, I'll lose it if I have to rush to finish an assignment.  For that assignment, I had to read the next chapter in my textbook.  It was a lot of stuff I was familiar with like rules of mathematics and whatnot.  However, binary math has some interesting theorems that wouldn't work in standard math with ten digits.  I'm quite fascinated by this new type of math.  It's a new adventure for me.  And I'm pretty positive that it will require some work to understand this new stuff.  Then, I finished reading chapter 2 in my programming textbook.  I took breaks in between reading.

I also read 8 books of the Odyssey and took 2 quizzes on it.  I was only assigned the first 4 for tomorrow, but I have to study lab safety tomorrow and I didn't want such a large reading commitment hanging over my head for Wednesday (when the next 4 would have been due).  I also had to do those trusty library research tutorials and take quizzes on those.  Even so, I will still have a lot to do this week for homework.

I also made a trip to the library to turn in 2 books I had just finished reading.  When I was there, I checked out another one that isn't due back until October.  I'm looking forward to reading it.  It is about insects.  I can channel Gil Grissom's fascination with bugs and try to take on a more profound dialogue about how little creatures teach us about greater things.  

Incidentally, I'm really excited for the upcoming season of CSI because of the addition of Ted Danson to the cast.  I can't wait to see how the new season unfolds!! I even think Nick Stokes (George Eads) will be getting more airtime and I love me some Nick.  This weekend, they finally aired the new episode of iCarly that I'd been waiting for since August.  I am glad for a weekly iCarly schedule again.  Making viewers wait months between episodes is cruel and unusual punishment.

Last week, I had tried Style Snaps from television and found them ineffective.  I was disappointed, but I was probably asking too much of them by using them on retro flare jeans.  In any case, this meant I would have to hem them.  I tried to hem them during the week, but I didn't really know how to hem.  I plowed into the task, but didn't hem them properly or even to my satisfaction.  Thus, this weekend, I perused the various online instructions on hemming pants.  I found a site with instructions for doing a French hem to preserve the authentic jean hem (website: http://www.sewcraftymeg.com/2009/05/hem-jeans-the-easy-way/).  It took me a few hours and I ended up doing an additional stitching instead of using hemming tape, but I managed to hem a pair of my retro flare jeans.  Yay me! 

I had to hem them up three inches.  I even managed to impress my mom with my hand stitching skills.  I could still iron and top stitch them, but the jeans are wearable.  At least, I'll finally get to wear them tomorrow.

I also took photos of my periwinkle plants and updated my Facebook album.  My periwinkle flowers are really cute.

This is my favorite picture I took.  This blossom is especially photogenic.

No comments:

Post a Comment