Friday, September 16, 2011

Alternative Answers to Questions on a Religious Flyer

When I'm on campus, sometimes they pass out flyers on various issues like vegetarianism and religion.  Mostly, I acquire flyers of the religious variety.  There was one in particular that I thought I could have fun with by writing about it on my blog.  This particular flyer is called "God's Answers To Man's Questions" and it was compiled by Charles Leiter to represent the views of the Lake Road Chapel in Missouri.  In this flyer, there are 15 questions bolded with answers under them from psalms, proverbs, and other reference types from the Bible.

Disclaimer: Now, before I come up with my own answers to these questions compiled by Charles Leiter, I would just like to say that I encourage people to believe whatever they want to believe.  I am open-minded and believe people should believe whatever makes them feel best inside to believe.

Question 1: "Aren't there many ways to God?"
I take the mentality of a mathematician.  As there are often many answers to a math problem, there are often many answers to the same conclusion.  That conclusion might be God.  That conclusion might be Evolution.  That conclusion might be energy scattered into the universe.  Nobody can say for sure what that conclusion is definitely until Judgment Day.

Question 2: "Did Jesus ever claim to be God?"
I wonder when I read this as to why this would even matter.  Jesus is a prominent figure in popular culture and he sounds pretty cool.  If he wanted to claim to be God, why not let him? Crazy people rant all kinds of things.  If people can back it up with proofs and theorems, let them try to prove it.  Debate enhances society discussion.

Question 3: "How do I know that Jesus is who He claims to be?"
Here's my mentality: If you see with your own eyes that someone has magical powers like the ability to walk on water or part the ocean, I think you shouldn't really question whether or not he's who he says he is or not.  I think you should probably just nod your head and play along regardless to preserve your own life.  This means that Criss Angel should also be respected and worshipped (and he's hot, so it's not a stretch).

Question 4: "Isn't the Bible just a bunch of myths?"
Most religions do have a mythical feel to them, but seeming mythical gives religion a sense of majesty.  Myths, fantasy, fairy tales, and science fiction make for awesome reading.  Who cares if it is a bunch of myths, if it is a good read?!! (I still intend to read the Bible one of these days.)

Question 5: "What about all the contradictions in the Bible?"
Life is full of contradictions.  People say they want some things and end up with different things.  In other words, people are hypocrites on occasion in what they say and do.  Why should we expect the Bible to not have contradictions?

Question 6: "Why is there so much suffering in the world?"
This question is based on a very pessimistic premise.  I'd like to think there are people out there who are very happy with their lives.  People suffer sometimes because they are afraid to be themselves.  People are afraid that they will not be accepted.  People do not want to be judged.  People look for others to love them or fill voids when all people would be happier if they learned to love themselves and not have to rely on other people.

Question 7: "What is the real purpose of life?"
The answer to this question is simple: to have babies.

Question 8: "Aren't all men basically good?"
Ha! Behavior is a learned trait, so all people have the potential to be good.

Question 9: "Won't my good works outweigh my bad works?"
Does anyone seriously tally up every good and bad thing they do in their lives? I don't.  I believe the important thing is to try to be a good person and do good things every once and awhile.  And if you decide to go bad, go big or don't bother.

Question 10: "Why did Christ die?"
Underneath all the magic and bravado, Christ was a mortal man.  If it makes you feel any better, he's immortally famous.

Question 11: "I don't really love Christ.  Isn't it all right to be neutral?"
No.  It's not alright.  Believe fully or not at all.  You disgust me.

Question 12: "What must I do to be saved?"
It's best to introduce yourself to the lifeguard, security guards, and many doctors at the local hospital.  These acquaintances will increase your likelihood of being saved.  Perhaps, a healthy set of lungs would help as well but that is iffy at best.

Question 13: "How do I know God will receive me?"
Make sure you get the right address written on the envelope.  As long as you're addressed correctly, the universal postal service will not fail you.

Question 14: "What is eternal life?"
Who cares about the eternal life? I'd rather find out the recipe for a happy fulfilling life than an eternal one.  There are some awesome works of philosophy out there about happiness that are quite enlightening.

Question 15: "How could I ever change?"
Change takes time, willpower, and work.  Educate yourself on your options, assess what you have on your plate, and decide what is the best option for you.  Set goals, meet those goals, and be diligent about it.  That is how you change yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment