Saturday, October 1, 2011

Peaceful Library Book Renewal

There's nothing like the sense of peace I feel when I can renew a library book that I haven't finished yet.  When it gets down to the day the book is due and I'm not done, I will try to renew the book.  If I can't, I'll pull a Belle and power read through the book to finish it and return it on time.

I am still reading the book on insects and there is a lot of information to absorb.  There is talk of DNA and multiple species.  As such, I like to read a little bit, let it sink in, and think about how this information plays into the bigger picture.

I find that there are some books that are suspenseful reads.  These books are the kind of books you don't want to put down.  Dan Brown books fall into this category.  The Twilight series also comes to mind as being a very riveting set of novels.

However, there are also those books that are served better in small portions.  These are the books best to gradually read to obtain the most out of them.  Charles Dickens novels are sometimes more enjoyable to read in a gradual fashion.  In particular, I'm thinking of David Copperfield.  That book took me a very long time to read, but it was worth it when everything came together in the end.  Informational and self-help books also fall into this category of books for gradual reading.

As such, I am feeling very grateful that I don't have to power read through my library book today.  I will be able to focus on reading my textbooks and working on my homework instead.  Yay! A part of me is relieved and another part of me is thinking, "Drat!"  In any case, back to the homework trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment