Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pumpkin Carols to Sing This Holiday Season: Courtesy of Charles Schulz

Near the beginning of October, I had watched "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" and I caught this casual question posed by Linus Van Pelt.  He asked innocently, "Have you come to sing pumpkin carols?" After hearing this quote, I started to feel, in the words of Sally Brown, "robbed" because they do not sing pumpkin carols in the Halloween special.  Today, I looked up these so-called Pumpkin Carols on the internet and found out that there was in fact a book of Pumpkin Carols that Schulz wrote based off the tunes of classic Christmas Carols.

My personal favorite carol is "The 12 Days of Halloween".  It's awesome.  I kept trying to type in my blog the explanation for this preference, but it's not saving.  Technical difficulties, I suppose.  Briefly: giving sacrifices of trick-or-treaters seems gruesome and love it, owls are trendy because of Harry Potter.  I thought Schulz could have incorporated the kite-eating tree as a demonic undead tree instead of any old, dead tree.  However, it is definitely awesome in its original vernacular.

Lyrics can be found on this website: http://www.nationallonghouse.org/Resources/Songs/Sg-hallo.html

I realize that Halloween is less commercial than the other holidays.  However, that does not prevent us from embracing The Great Pumpkin all year round.  Please keep Pumpkin Carols in mind for this short Halloween season.

May your pumpkin patch be most sincere.  May your Sweet Babboo offer to sit in a cold pumpkin patch all night watching for The Great Pumpkin with you!! That's dedication! That's sincerity! That's love!  All Hail The Great Pumpkin!!

No comments:

Post a Comment