Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Passion Required For Greatness

Perhaps, I keep struggling with classes because I don't have a passion for them.  I feel like I need passion for something in order to excel at it.  I keep running into hiccups when I hit a class that I don't understand and don't want to understand.  It feels like my brain puts up a wall and it keeps going blank when I try to practice.  It's like my brain is saying, "Hey! I don't want to learn that! I'm not passionate about that.  Why waste brain cells on a class I'm not passionate about?"

Granted, this has hit me for a few classes over the years.  Sometimes, I've wondered if my mind is blocking me from the paths that aren't in line with my calling.  I have always wanted to be a writer.  Writing is what I'm passionate about, but it seems like a difficult profession to enter.  I submitted a story to a writing contest and it didn't win.  I suspect it didn't win because it didn't necessarily fall into a specific genre.  I kept wondering what sort of magazine or contest I should submit it to, because it was a science fiction-feminist hybrid.  Since I couldn't figure out what to do with it, I posted it on my blog.  I'm interested in pursuing writing as a profession, but I generally don't know what to do with the material once I've written it.

I can write, Step A, but not knowing where to send it, Step B, and actually sending it somewhere, Step C, keeps me from being able to pursue a career in writing.  Perhaps it is a matter of knowing the write people and getting an editing position in the publishing industry first like in The Proposal.  Then, perhaps I can find my own Ryan Reynolds to bribe into marrying me.  Needless to say, I love The Proposal.  I probably like it so much because it focuses a bit on the publishing industry, which I suspect is the industry for me.

To conclude: Without passion for a subject, it is hard to convince the brain to learn course material.  I feel passionate about writing, but I don't know what to do with my material.  Lastly, I might want to try to get my foot in the door in the publishing industry as a stepping stone to my dream of being a writer one day.  This might be a smart path to take.

There's always hope that my brain will thaw and I'll be able to pull my grade up in my logic design class, but I find myself concerned with the state of my mind at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment