Monday, July 4, 2011

Tips to Achieve 4th of July Grandeur and Bragging Rights

When I was younger, I used to look forward to 4th of July as one of my favorite holidays.  I used to think it was the Christmas of the Summer.  (Well, technically there was no religious significance and there was a shift to a different kind of significance, the patriotic kind.)  I remember lighting fireworks with many relatives, having ice chests full of beverages, and just having a marvelous time.  I've determined that in order to preserve the awesomeness that is 4th of July, certain components are advisable to have every year:

1. Playing catch with a football or frisbee for a couple hours (Beer Pong can be substituted for those of age)
(Swimming can also be substituted for those lucky enough to have or know someone who has a pool)
2. Having a BBQ (or possibly having healthy Subway sandwiches for those on diets)
3. Having plenty of cold beverages (an excuse to bust out the Margarita mix)
4. Listening to music or watching a fireworks presentation choreographed to music
5. Making sure more than one person is lighting fireworks (sparklers increase potential for participation)
6. Having chairs or ice chests to sit on (ice chests will be more memorable and event-specific)
7. Making sure the company you are in is the best possible lot - hanging out with people who stress you out will just hinder the 4th of July experience for you

Please keep these components in mind when planning your 4th of July celebration.  These components can be adapted to meet your particular lifestyle.  You can even go to a free event in some park and still meet all of these criteria.

For extra credit, you can get the family together and either go hunting or fishing days prior to the 4th of July.  If you catch what you end up grilling on the 4th of July, there will be additional satisfaction from having killed your own dinner and being able to brag to your friends about it.
"Is that a foot long rainbow trout?!!"
"Why yes, I caught it the other day with my boys while we were out on the boat.  My boys caught two half-footer brown trouts that we'll be grilling as well.  I'm mighty proud of my boys."
"Wow! Do you go fishing with your kids often?"
"We try to go every summer (right before 4th of July so I can brag about it)." - Said with a puffed out chest and a large amount of pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment