Thursday, July 21, 2011

I Keep Thinking, So I Say Nothing

I was reading this essay by Northrop Frye called "Don't You Think It's Time To Start Thinking?" and it made me think of a short conversation I had with someone earlier today.  The author being discussed was Stephen Hawking.  I admit I have never read any of his books.  Yet, I knew that one of the titles for a book of his was Master of the Universe.  Furthermore, I had just seen a bit of an old Stephen Colbert show about said book and heard his ill opinion of Hawking.  This episode was the one in which he announced his March to Keep Fear Alive that happened in October 2010.

Anyway, I was saying in the conversation that based on the title of said book, Hawking has an ego.  Yet, my friend had read the book and contended that Hawking had good ideas.  To which, I could not respond, so I left it at that.  I just contend that a person who would write a book called Master of the Universe has a skewed sense of ethics.  As such, I could not follow such an author into the future.  Even knowing that Hawking wrote a book of that title, reduces my inclination to ever read any of his work.  I'm sure Hawking is a smart man, but so were many dead philosophers and I'd rather read books by them.

In any case, back to the reason that the conversation made me think of the essay I was reading about thinking.  Honestly, I wanted to say after having said Hawking has an ego that his ideas weren't as good as so-and-so or perhaps that a better leader to follow would be a famous actor with good character.  Examples that came to mind were Tom Selleck, Tom Hanks, Harrison Ford, and that guy who plays Victor on Young and the Restless.  Yet, I could not in good conscience say anything more on the subject because I had not reading any of Hawking's work.  I was tempted to say something without thinking about it.

Later on, I was thinking about saying following a comedian or cartoonist would be a better way to go because if all else fails, it would still be entertaining.  Stephen Colbert, of course, came to mind.  The cartoonist Charles M. Schultz, who created Peanuts, also came to mind.  I wanted to be able to say that Schultz probably knew more about life with such a masterful creation as Peanuts to compete against Hawking as a better leader (dictator).  Yet, I could not say that either without more information on the content of Hawking's work.

I still do not want to read Hawking's viewpoints on life's origins.  I guess, I have some loyalty to Darwin and Alfred Wallace for their theory of evolution.  I don't want to believe in any other scientific theories than the classic ones that already exist.  I'll happily stay jaded and a Darwin groupie forever.  Just like I'll happily contend that there are 9 planets in our solar system, even though Pluto was ousted.  At least, the topics I'm jaded in are small things that won't cause uproars or divide a country.  (That is, unless I acquire more followers who agree with my nonsensical ways.  Evil laughter ensues.)

No comments:

Post a Comment