Monday, January 2, 2012

Why Can't We Know The Future (To Make Better Choices)

I'm starting to think my problem might be fear.  I'm afraid that whatever I choose to do, it might end up being a mistake.

It is unfair that we are expected to make decisions without knowing the ultimate consequences.  I believe life should be like those Goosebumps books that have multiple endings based on choices.  We should be able to read the endings from each possible choice, think about it, and choose the best life out of the options.

When we're given incomplete information, it makes any decision sketchy at best.  Sure, we can sit there and know what we are good at and like.  We can also sit there and know what we're weak at and hate.  Then, we can make out lists and analyze ourselves to death (said from someone who is a professional self-analyzer).

I would just like to know for sure that when I finish a degree, that I'll be skilled in that profession and that I will enjoy the job.  I've heard it said before that people do not have to enjoy their job.  Yet, I believe that people should enjoy their job.  Also, I believe that although importance of job satisfaction varies from person to person, I'm the sort of person who needs to enjoy what I do in order to motivate myself to actually do the work.  Otherwise, I'd rather be creative, write, daydream, solve puzzles, read a book, so on and so forth.  As strange as it is, my personality code is Investigative Conventional Artistic.  This is unusual because Artistic is on the other side of the RIASEC hexagon from investigative and conventional.  This is a no-no.  Hence, I'm a tad bit eccentric.

Other people do not care so much whether or not they enjoy their careers.  And I say more power to them.  A part of me wishes I didn't care at all like other people.  Yet, I do and I will accept that.

If I was going for meeting all of my RIASEC letter codes, the closest profession to that is Architect.  Yet, if I switched from engineering to architecture, I'd be considered a traitor in the engineering world.  Maybe it is worth looking into, though.  It might be fun to be a traitor.  Hehe.

In all seriousness, choosing a major when I'm still trying to figure out myself is challenging.  And I'm sure many other people can relate.  Is it best to base the decision on test results, how well we do in classes, traditional family professions, or on what tasks we like to do? There is no universal answer that works for everyone.  At least, not one in America.  I can't say the same of other countries that assign their citizenry professions (those lucky ducks).

Most of the time, having choices is a great privilege.  Sometimes, however, having choices is a pain in the butt.  This is America.

No comments:

Post a Comment