Friday, January 20, 2012

Another Semester Commences: I am Human

Another semester has started again.  To be honest, I'm already feeling intimidated.  Since I had a bad semester awhile back where things didn't go so well grade-wise (technically, I maintained a 3.0, but I had to drop classes), my confidence has been shaken.  I'm so afraid I'll fail again.  Sometimes, I feel so ridiculous for still being in school.  I'm worried that I'll just dig myself a huge loan debt hole that I won't be able to crawl out of later.

Even though I have these doubts sometimes, I usually prove to myself that I can excel.  I took Fundamentals of Logic Design last semester.  I thought I was going to fail that course the entire semester, but I kept working at it and earned an A.  And that class was no joke.

I just hope that everything runs smoothly this semester and I survive.  Because I truly believe that if I do well in Statics (after having already taken it before), then I can handle anything.

I wonder if it is silly to make the outcome of a hard class define my capabilities.  I am likely too hard on myself.  I've taken many classes over the years.  When I look back, the prominently hard classes stand out like Organic Chemistry and Statics.  Yet, when I really think about it, I found Calculus I and II challenging as well.  Upper-level statistics courses were also challenging.  As such, maybe the classes I take are hard in general to anybody.

There was a Cracked article I read awhile back about how smart people are misportrayed on television as having superhuman abilities.  The article was called "5 Things TV Writers Apparently Believe About Smart People", C. Coville wrote it, and this is the link: http://www.cracked.com/article_18960_5-things-tv-writers-apparently-believe-about-smart-people_p2.html.  The article indicated that people on television have immaculate skills in multiple disciplines, when real professionals might have skills in multiple areas and only one specialty where they have immaculate skill.  I like that the Cracked article pointed out the truth: that intelligence takes hard work and a lot of time (because it's true).  Staying smart is a lifelong endeavor. 

The enrichment gained from reading and educating myself on various subjects makes me happy to be a human.  Yet, I must also convince myself that I am human and that struggling with academic work is okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment