Monday, January 16, 2012

Short Obsessions Enhance Societal Conversation; Long Uncontrollable Obsessions are a Waste of Time

There are so many obsessions out there waiting to attract people.  Some people obsess over celebrities.  Other people obsess about television shows.  Many people obsess over book series, like yours truly.  With a world full of romantic comedy movies and reality shows such as The Bachelor, how are women not supposed to obsess over crushes, the illusion of "the perfect man" (whether he be knight, doctor, or the ever-popular Prince Charming)?

Well, I've spent a long time obsessing over crushes and this impossible ideal man.  I've come to the conclusion that obsessing about what isn't possible or what is only a fantasy is pointless.  Women should stop obsessing about the ideal partner and start obsessing about themselves.

I feel that it is important to figure myself out and feel secure with the direction of my life before chasing after men.  I want to feel confident enough to be sustainable as an entity without requiring reassurances expressed by a partner.  I want to feel confident in the state of my life before I try to be a part of someone else's life.  I want to feel rather that I don't need a man to fulfill my life, but want a specific man to be a part of my life and am willing to give up my solitude to make this happen.

Yet, the question is: do we ever really figure ourselves out completely or is that a lifelong mission? If it is a lifelong mission to understand ourselves, can we rationally set an order to our life as aforementioned? "I will worry about romance after I have finished my education and start a career."  I wonder about this philosophical idea.  Those of us who like order want to focus on one goal at a time.  We want to finish one thing before starting on another.  Sure, this can be attempted with schoolwork, or structuring our meals.

Yet, can this work with bigger life goals? Does love run on a schedule or is it an act of God? Do we really know any answer to any question?  While I don't know what life has in store for me, the only life I can completely control is my own.

Thus, I believe that people should stop focusing on what others are doing or not doing and focus more on what that individual person is doing to improve their life.  When we make our lives better, we feel better about ourselves and attract better company.

Although the occasional short obsession with something harmless like a book series or favorite Olympic sport is a nice vacation and these short obsessions will benefit societal conversation.  Hence, is it wise to obsess more about ourselves than about the actions of people we cannot control.  Short obsessions about books and sports can enhance life in moderation.

No comments:

Post a Comment