Monday, January 9, 2012

Angels, Demons, Math Enthusiast, Movie Trains, and a Project

I was flipping through the channels earlier and found that the Science Fiction channel was showing Angels and Demons again.  I noticed that Angels and Demons comes on a lot on that channel these days.  Since I had never watched the movie before and own the book, I figured I would watch it.  I was pleasantly surprised to find the movie was well done.  Sometimes I worry that movies based on books will take liberties that impugn the integrity of the work.  Thankfully, this movie stayed true to the book and was quite enjoyable.

I have read the whole Robert Langdon trilogy.  Due to my enthusiasm for mathematics, my favorite book in the trilogy will always be The DaVinci Code.  Fibonacci series, be still my heart!! I appreciate it when authors try to illustrate the beauty and majestic nature of math.  Showing how math applies in real-life is a surefire way to recruit for the industry (unlike some meat mathematician commercials which are plain offensive: attractive mathematicians exist, people!).

I worry about the last book in the Langdon trilogy (The Lost Symbol) becoming a movie because the villain is disturbingly crazy.  However, I'm convinced that Tom Hanks has magical powers, as in his movies are always good (pointing at self --> Tom Hanks fan).  Thus, the movie will likely do well and I may end up forking over the $10 to see the movie in theaters if I'm feeling particularly conformist.  Then again, perhaps the Dan Brown movie train is not as conformist as the Twilight series movie train these days.  Thus, I may be able to save face and maintain originality in seeing an intellectual movie over movies with supernatural beings in the form of eye candy (although the Mar-ster loves her some eye candy).  I suppose this presumption of movie train popularity is neither here nor there.

I will say that the only reason I haven't gone to see the latest Twilight movie is that I have not been able to read the last book yet.  Every time I visit my local library, I look to see if the book is available.  To my dismay, it is never sitting on a shelf waiting for me to check it out.  Granted, there are such possibilities as requesting it from other libraries.  Yet, I haven't found myself inclined to be so glued to a book that I stay up all night reading it like an obsessive crazy person (because that is just how addictive the past three books were to this book junkie).

My little brother helped me finish painting my room over winter break.  Thank you, Matt!! Then, I spent some time rearranging my room furniture.  Now, I have the fun task of skimming, labeling, and organizing my school stuff back into shelves.

I'm probably going to go on a shopping adventure to find cheap bookends so I can accommodate all of my books that need to be shelved.  I have accumulated a lot of books over the years from school classes, family gifts, library stores and science building giveaways.  As such, I am that much closer to living in my own personal library (sigh of elation).

Now that I have watched Angels and Demons, I am actually thinking about pulling out the Langdon trilogy when I run across it during these room tasks and reading for fun while I can before the semester starts up again.  Then again, I could end up hemming a pair of jeans or working on room organization instead.  I suppose I will just see what happens.  Regardless of what I choose to do, it will likely be fun or at least productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment