Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Summer, Thoughts on Scholarships, Future Work, and Being Irish

This summer might end up being called the Summer of Scholarship Applications and of the Quest to Clean My Room.  I keep filling out scholarship application after scholarship application.  I've reached the point where there are only about 3 potential scholarships left for me to work on.  I left the ones that required research-esque essays until later, so I could optimize the number of scholarships I could apply for in the given deadlines.

So far, my efforts have been fruitful.  I have acquired $4,500 in potential financial aid.  I have to earn at least $1,500 more in order to cover tuition for this schoolyear.  In addition to this, I will need to make enough to cover textbooks and any other school-related expenses I will need.  I will keep applying to the scholarships and to summer internships.  Hopefully, the financial aid gods will smile upon me and I will be able to afford next year.

On the upside, I like to write, so I might have a shot at the essay contests.  I find myself writing many essays for the scholarships.  Most of the essays, so far, have been about myself.  Thus, I am very familiar with the subject matter.  I keep hoping that the judges will want to invest in me, since I work hard and I am a good person.  (Shh....don't tell anyone.)

I also have a line on a part-time job in mid-July, if I do not have an internship by then.  I like to hope for the best, but I also know it's always good to have a trump card.

Murphys and McGraths are used to working and I like to work.  The Irish came to America to work and help build the railroad.  Apparently, the desire to work lives on through the generations and I have Irish ancestors on both sides of the family.  We Irish are a tough sort and working is breathing to us.  We Irish are also passionate people by nature, so we drive ourselves.  Being Irish definitely makes for a hard-working honest person.  I'm proud to be Irish.


No comments:

Post a Comment