Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Today, My Brother Graduated High School

Today, my youngest brother graduated from high school.  His graduation was late in the day at 3 pm.  I was worried that I was going to be bored out of my mind, since I've been to quite a few boring graduation ceremonies (as I'm sure a lot of people can relate to from experience).  However, I was pleasantly surprised that the five speeches given by the valedictorians and salutatorian were spoken well and even entertaining.  My favorite speech was the first one given about Las Vegas High School (LVHS) students being winners ("That's just what we do").  I'm probably biased because LVHS is my alma mater, so I liked being called a winner.  I also got a kick out of my uncle saying "Go Vikings" next to me, since he attended Valley High School: Home of the Vikings back in the day.  It is good to have school pride and I appreciated that I have that in common with my uncle.

Then, after the ceremony, we returned home and we had a party.  I was mostly focused on compiling the veggie trays, making teas, and filling deviled eggs for the first part of the party.  Even so, there were some interesting things that happened.  Apparently, my uncle and aunt decided to make purchases from the ice cream truck driving down our street because they had never been allowed to do that as kids.  I reaped quite a benefit from it, as my uncle passed around ice cream sandwiches at the party.  Who doesn't like ice cream sandwiches?!!  Plus, my aunt was practicing her golf swing out on the lawn.  To which, my uncle said "She looks like Tigger Woods out there".  Overall, the party was a good time.  My uncles and aunts made it particularly entertaining both in their actions and in their statements.

No comments:

Post a Comment