Sunday, June 19, 2011

Thoughts On Fathers

Fathers are such important figures in our lives.  Growing up, I spent a lot of time with each of my parents.  With Mom, there was cooking, girl scouts, bowling, and colorguard.  Yet, I remember observing my father in an attempt to understand the strong silent man within.  I used to watch him glue pipes together, make concrete, and mow the lawn.  To this day, I smell pipe glue and feel a sense of nostalgia for my childhood.

Based on my observations, I learned that my dad valued being productive very highly.  I also came to the realization that I was born to a construction-driven family.  How many kids can say their dad builds walls like a mason, fixes cars like a mechanic, upkeeps his lawn, and has a day job in a specialized trade?! I feel lucky to have such an intelligent and skilled father.  Furthermore, he is modest and does not presume he is an expert at the feats he completes.  The phrase, “That’s my dad” said with pride comes to mind.

The word father means all sorts of things to all sorts of people.  Some people see fathers as the disciplinarians.  Other people see fathers as war heroes or soldiers.  I see my father as the family pillar, standing strongly supporting the family through the vast expanse of time.  I see my father as a man of few words, but meaningful words when spoken.

Essentially, I wanted to wish everyone a Happy Father’s Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment