Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Enlightenment, Yoga, and Pondering the Significance of Only One Life to Live

This post is more of an update about the last post.  Ultimately, I decided to try to incorporate attitude-enhancing activities into my life like exercise, yoga, and meditation in order to cultivate a more positive attitude. 

Sometimes life feels like it is spiraling out of control and we are helplessly caught in this whirlpool of destruction.  However, seeking out guidance from others in times of need can be very beneficial to the trend direction of our life.  I am very thankful to have a great immediate family and wonderful friends who have been extremely morally supportive.

My mom had told my little brother this past weekend that I would benefit from watching the recent Joel Osteen sermon on ABC Family.  Mr. Osteen has such great perspectives on life that make me laugh and help me to see things differently and in a more affirmative light.  I'm not a highly religious person, but I enjoy listening to Joel Osteen very much and I believe how we process our lives can have a significant impact on how we choose to live them.

Joel Osteen's message last weekend was Nothing is Wasted (Osteen 2014).  His perspective on life is that sometimes things happen in life that stink, but stinky stuff is not always bad stuff (Osteen 2014).  Osteen brings up the case example of how fertilizer is a key element to  promote the growth of plants (Osteen 2014).  As such, if people embraced the stinky stuff as the means to significant growth, people would have a better attitude about tough times in life and a better attitude can improve all facets of our lives (Osteen 2014).  If bad stuff happens, it means we have the potential to grow from the experiences (Osteen 2014).

I also watched a yoga interview on a yoga DVD Getting Started With Yoga about relaxation.  The yoga instructor Barbara talks about how people do not give themselves enough slack throughout their lives.  People often try to take on more than they can handle and expect too much of themselves in a limited time span.  Often it is best to slow down and set fewer attainable goals, so that we do not feel discouraged when we cannot achieve the unachievable.  Learning how to slow down, set achievable goals, and spend time on relaxation every once in awhile allows us to treat our mind and body like our friend, as it should be.

In truth, we are only given one body in which to live a single life inside.  As such, we must take care to nurture our body and appreciate life in a beneficial way. (**This is only true, if you do not believe in reincarnation.) (**And if you believe in the conservation of energy, perhaps this premise would not work either.  If someone dies, the energy within their soul would find a new body.  In My Soul to Take, this idea takes a very sinister turn.)

In any case, we are all human (unless aliens read my blog too) and life is full of surprises, both good ones and bad ones.  Hence, learning how to take these surprises in stride can make us happier and more productive people. 

I hope that I can continue to grow.  I'm always amazed when I find myself growing more as a person because I always regain the belief that I've reached maturity and then have something happen to make me see that growth is still possible (even in the wisest of us).

Works Cited

Getting Started With Yoga. Dir. Michael Wohl. Perf. Barbara Benagh. BodyWisdom Media, Inc., 2008. DVD.

My Soul to Take. Dir. Wes Craven. Perf. Max Thieriot, John Magaro, and Denzel Whitaker. Rogue, 2010. DVD.

Osteen, Joel. Nothing Is Wasted. ABC Family. 22 June 2014. LightSource.com. Web. 25 June 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment