Saturday, July 20, 2013

Blog Reflections, Grave Danger, Tarantino, and CSI Opinions

I often question whether I should attach a link to my blog onto various social networking websites.  On the upside, it shows that I can string multiple words together into cohesive sentences.  Having a blog also shows that I practice writing a great deal and am likely to have heightened communication skills for writing more than others.  

However, I often believe that the nature of my blog is too informal to share on professional networking websites.  If my blog was on something specific like a skill or recipes, maybe I'd see it as a showcase of educational enrichment.  Instead, it is more of a grab bag of journal entries, book reviews, life philosophy, and whatever I happen to feel like writing at the time it is written.  

I also have a few short stories and essays on here.  I still keep trying to submit them to writing contests (because I have always wanted to be a writer), but I don't really know what genres to categorize them in because I often feel that they could fall under multiple genres or would require a new one.  Sci-Fy Feminism, Political Humor, Science Fiction, Fantasy, or Fantasy Drama are some of the genres I have considered for my stories.  I'm not an expert, though.

Speaking of artists who like to think outside the box like me, I was watching the BEST CSI-two part episode Grave Danger that was directed by Quentin Tarantino (a genius).  After watching the additional content about the episodes, I was really excited to find out that he was a hardcore fan of CSI like I have been since the show first aired on CBS.  Having something in common with a well-known filmmaker is awesome!! :D 

It was so cool to see how much Tarantino respected the actors on CSI to know how their characters would react in given situations and how Tarantino incorporated the CSI writing staff in his two-part episode. Respecting others and allowing others to incorporate their talents into an endeavor always makes for a better process and ultimately final product.

CSI has always utilized dry intelligent humor, which has always been my cup of tea.  Hence, I have been an avid fan throughout the seasons.  I was disappointed when Grissom left and they brought in Morpheus from the Matrix to run the lab (at least, run the lab thought process-wise).  It seemed like there were more people issues incorporated into the show in those seasons.  I always appreciated CSI for the science part more than for the social drama part.  

I liked when Ted Danson (D.B.) started heading up the lab, though.  It seemed like the show went back to pushing boundaries and exploring new worlds (like in the first D.B. episode about the octopus).  

It was better to have Ted Danson head up the team for a few reasons.  I felt that as an audience, we knew what Dr. Langsten's (Morpheus') history was from the beginning.  He was a doctor and a professor.  This kind of took the mystery out of the new team addition.  With D.B., the mystery is still very much intact.  Hence, the mysterious supervisor keeps us intrigued.  D.B. is also a fun person because he can talk to kids and his manner on the show suggests that he has a positive attitude.  Langston had more of a dreary attitude and a fear of losing control hanging about him while he was on CSI.  It just did not feel right to have that atmosphere on the show.  Lastly, Dr. Robbins has a very strong fanbase.  Therefore, it wasn't enjoyable to have another doctor (Dr. Langston) on the show infringing on Dr. Robbins' territory.  We love our coroners!! New actors need not apply.

In any case, I'm glad that the show has changed its cast.  I felt that the Alice in Wonderland wedding episode really brought CSI back to life.  Also, I feel that they did a wonderful tribute to Willows on the two-part episode when she was shot.  It was awesome that they did an allusion back to her first episode on CSI to send her on her way.  The description of the feeling from solving a case as "feeling like King Kong on cocaine" was priceless.  Hence, I am looking forward to the new season!! :D

I'm kind of hoping that Nick will be promoted to supervisor and Greg will be incorporated more into the forensic fieldwork.  I'd like my veteran CSI's to have more air-time.  It is kind of getting down to slim-pickings on veterans.  I still appreciate it when Mandy, the lab tech that has been around a long time, gets air-time as well.  Lab technicians really deserve more credit than they are given.

In any case, I love my CSI, Tarantino, and my crazy blog.  It is fun to have opinions and write about what I'm thinking at any given time.  It keeps me from living on a Tibetan mountainside in a monastery.  


No comments:

Post a Comment