Sunday, August 5, 2012

An Insightful Passage, Why I Respect It, and Why Humans Are Fortunate

I've been reading this interesting book that I checked out from the "New Books" section of my library.  I ran across this passage and felt it was written well, so I thought it was worth sharing:

"Miracles that cannot be explained as naturally occurring events depend on ignorance.  I don't mean "ignorance" in a mean-spirited or condescending way.  Let's take myself as an example.  There are so many things I don't know about the universe that it would be ludicrous for me to witness something that I can't explain and, because it stumps me, declare that it must be a magical or miraculous event.  Wouldn't it be far more likely that I simply don't know enough to explain what is going on by natural means? The only sensible and honest way to react to something you do not understand is to admit that you do not understand it.  Filling in a blank with a made-up answer is intellectually shallow and dishonest.  It seems to me that we all would do better to simply admit that many so-called supernatural miracles are mysteries.  Sometimes things happen that we cannot explain.  Of course some people can't stand to leave loose strings dangling so they pretend to know by saying it was the act of a god.  I suggest we embrace the phrase, "I don't know." It seems to get a bad rap, but "I don't know" is a respectable answer when one doesn't know."
- quoted from Guy P. Harrison from 50 popular beliefs that people think are true on page 82

I respect this passage for a few reasons.  First, Harrison raises a valid argument for admitting ignorance instead of using a commonplace word like "miracle".  Second, he cares about the feelings of his audience and cares enough to explain the intention of his expression.  Third, Harrison is smart enough to explain the absurdity of the use of the word using himself as the case example.  Fourth, I feel like I think a lot like him and could have written this myself.  Fifth, my aunt has been embracing the phrase "I don't know" for years now.  It is, in fact, her answer of choice when speaking with her children because it is non-confrontational.  Thus, I felt this passage was especially brilliant and worth noting in my blog.

Many events can be explained by scientific reasoning and developed understanding.  It makes sense that we, as humans, must hone our skills and strive to understand the world around us and are limited in the magnitude and areas of interest for which we understand.  


It is okay not to understand everything because learning and thinking is so important for enhancing the human life.  I feel very fortunate to be able to live my life as a human, being able to read, think, and learn about the world around me and acknowledge the wonder of it all.  It is cool to observe phenomena that seems bigger than us and later understand the science behind it.  Humans are a fortunate species.

No comments:

Post a Comment